NZ's Favourite Places to Cycle
The competition was fierce, but New Zealanders decided their favourite place to cycle in 2016 was the Otago Central Rail Trail! Almost 10,000 votes were cast during February and the ‘original great ride’ came out on top.
Doubling down, the Otago Central Rail Trail also took out the category win for NZ’s favourite ‘Nga Haeranga’ ride this year.
2016 category winners:
- Otago Central Rail Trail - Nga Haerenga NZ Cycle Trail and Overall Winner
- The Redwoods (Whakarewarewa Forest) - Off-Road or Adventure Ride
- Napier - Urban Trail or Commute
- Taupo and surrounds - On-Road Ride
Thank you to everyone who participated in the nomination and voting phases of the NZ’s Favourite Places to Cycle competition. Congratulations to Warwick Baigent from Hawke’s Bay, who is the lucky winner of the $500 bike store voucher.
NZ’s Favourite Places to Cycle is all about getting Kiwis to identify, share and celebrate their favourite places to ride throughout this beautiful country of ours. These places can be an off-road or adventure trail, a city route, part of the official NZ Cycle Trail, or, even better, someplace we have yet to discover.
This year’s competition has again highlighted the many options we get to enjoy as cyclists and New Zealanders – it’s another thing that makes this country great.
The finalists for NZ’s Favourite Place to Cycle were:
NZ Cycle Trail:
- Hauraki Rail Trail (Waikato)
- Hawke’s Bay Cycle Trails
- Great Lake Cycle Trail (Taupo)
- Queenstown Trail
- Otago Central Rail Trail
Off-Road or Adventure Ride:
- Redwoods (Rotorua)
- Taupo MTB Trails
- Makara MTB Park (Wellington
- Kaiteriteri MTB Park (Tasman)
- Port Hills (Christchurch)
Urban Trail or Commute:
- New Plymouth Coastal Walkway and Trails
- Auckland Bays and Central Suburbs
- Taupo Central Trails
- Taupo and surrounds
- Napier and Hastings Urban Cycleways
- Wellington Bays
- Dunedin surrounds and Otago Peninsula
- Port Hills and Banks Peninsula (Christchurch)
Let us know if you’ve got any questions or comments: email us.